Monday, March 21, 2011

It was the breast of times, it was the worst of times: Part I

I think that one of the most special phases of Henry's infancy has finally passed.  We are entering day four of no nursing.  It's hard for me to believe that I made it to the year mark, and beyond.  He is about 13 1/2 months old now.  My initial goal when I had him was to shoot for 9 months, anything beyond that would just be icing on the cake.  Being a breastfeeding mom for the past 13 months has been an eye-opening experience.  One of the more practical things I learned is where the best (breast?) spaces are to nurse publicly - the places that are the most accommodating for the physical act of nursing, as well as those that make a nursing mama feel less awkward (not that any mama should feel awkward or ashamed for breastfeeding in public - but lets face it, it can be a little odd to whip the ladies out in a busy food court or on the front pew of church!).  Once I got the hang of nursing in public, I noticed that when heading out with Henry, I instinctively would try to come up with every possible location on our outing that would be most conducive to public nursing.  Everyone has different comfort levels, and other mamas will probalby choose different places based on what's comfortable for them.  Before you start plotting your own breastfeeding map, check out the laws in your state/town/county - as many states now have laws that guarantee a woman's right to nurse her child in public locations.  So here, in no particular order, are four of my favorite breastfeeding spots.


Signifies a breastfeeding-friendly zone!
 Babies R' Us
Yes, they somehow convince us to spend tons of money on things we probably don't need and will only use once (peepee teepee, anyone?), but their Mother's Room is a favorite of mine.  When planning shopping excursions in Lexington, I always factored in Henry's expected feeding time, and made it a point to make it to BRU at around that time.  The quiet room (at least at our BRU) has a comfy glider and footstool, a sofa, and two nice changing tables.  While the privacy isn't absolutely essential when nursing in public, I found that I was more relaxed, that my baby was calmer, and that things were just all around peachier.  Feel bad about using the space with no intentions of shopping?  Buy a travel pack of wipes or a bottle of H20 on the way out.

Fitting Rooms
Almost all fitting rooms have a chair of some sort, and have enough room for you to park your stroller.  Sometimes, when baby is extra fussy, you really just want to shut the door to your fellow shoppers, throw modesty to the wind, and let the little guy nurse.  Again, the privacy isn't necessary (in fact, many states, including my homestate of KY, have laws that allow nursing mothers to breastfeed in public places), but sometimes everyone's calmer when mom and baby can share a moment quietly.  Two of my favorite dressing rooms are Macy's and Kohl's. 

Along the Perimeter of a Restaurant
There's less distraction for a hungry little kiddo if you're not sitting out in the middle of all of the action.  A booth feels more private, and if you can get a booth in a corner - sit on the side that is FACING the corner.  This way, your back is to most everyone else, and you'll have a little more protection should a feisty eater kick off your nursing cover (I know this from personal experience with an overzealous eater!). 

Family Restrooms/Women's Lounges/Nursing Rooms
Many shopping destinations now have family bathrooms - expanded bathrooms that often have additional seating (in addition to THE seat!).  Nicer department stores often have "Women's Lounges" attached to their restrooms - a nice seating area with plush sofas and armchairs, and all of the perfume samples a girl could want!  On a recent trip to the mall, I also noticed a "Nursing Room" in the food court!  All of these are a far cry from days when women felt they had no choice but to sit hidden away in a bathroom stall, nursing her baby.  As my cousin once told me, "I wouldn't want to eat my dinner in a public bathroom, so why should my baby have to eat there?".  So true!!!  Each of the three locations mentioned in this paragraph is some sort of extended bathroom, but with much more dignity and comfort than being trapped behind a stall door.  My specific pick?  Check out the Women's Lounge at your local Macy's.  Plus, it's a fun place to people watch!

So there are my top four nursing locales.  I was hoping for an even five, but realized that most of my outings with Henry include shopping and eating, so the above about sum it up!  One final place, that receives an honorable mention, is your car!  While it's not public - it's the perfect spot for an emergency feeding.  You can control the temperature and select your own music!

No comments:

Post a Comment